WARNING: Long post!
This isn't really a funny "don't ask, don't tell" but it is a true "DADT." After I had my dessert party a few weeks ago, I thought I had vaccumed and cleaned up. But... a few days later one of my children stepped on a gold lighthouse earring and briefly showed it to me when we were outside playing one evening. She was more interested in the earring than her foot.
Fast forward to 10 days later. My mom had Rita over to her house for dinner. My mom - a nurse - called me and asked if I had seen Rita's foot lately. "No why mom?" "There looks like there is an infection of some sort. I think you should soak it." So that I soaked it that evening.
The next morning, 1st day of VBS at church, she had a big yellow Jello-like, the size of a quarter, spot on the bottom of her foot with a mysterious red line traveling up her ankle like a piece of yarn. I called our "fabulous, trustworthy, calls me at home often, small town peditrician" and got Rita in. She cultured it and put her on meds. The culture came back and according to our ped, she has "MIRSA (a type of staph), strep, and a bunch of nasty things going on, you need to be suspicious." A week went by, good news, the antibiotic worked fine! Story is NOT over.
The day she finished her meds, we were getting ready for our trip to Cape Cod. We were leaving the next day and Rita woke up with what appeared to be a sunburn on her face. When I changed her, I saw that her entire body was full of a horrible hot rash. She had an allergic reaction of some sort the day AFTER her last meds. Poor thing. We still left for vacation and appears to be doing great once the rash cleared up! Lesson taught to her... MUST TELL MOMMY IF YOUR FOOT HURTS!
No comments:
Post a Comment